Healthy Brownies with peanut butter frost. Gluten Free- Vegan - no refined sugar.
The "brownie" is a chocolate cake that originated in the United States. The name brownie derives from its color, brown.
From its first creation back in 1863 to today, the main ingredients are almost always the same ⎯⎯ sugar, eggs, milk, butter and chocolate. Over the years the original recipe has been modified in many ways by adding and combining different ingredients. White chocolate brownies, flavored with cinnamon or vanilla, topped with different types of glaze, cooked in the oven or using only raw ingredients.
Usually one thinks of brownies as a dessert to be enjoyed on special occasions, like the "cheat day" when following a diet. Being full of sugar and other ingredients considered "unhealthy", one of the best cake also becomes one of the most harmful to our health.
Fortunately, healthy eating also includes desserts and other delicious treats, we need just to use the right ingredients :)
This version of the "Brownies" is devoid of all the ingredients harmful to our health, do not contain refined sugars, are made with rice flour making them perfect even for those suffering from Celiac disease or gluten intolerance and are completely vegan 🙂.
- 1 cup of rice flour
- 2 flaxseed "eggs" (check footnotes to know how to make flaxseeds eggs)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or 10 dates blended with water
- 1 cup of rice milk or any other plant based milk
- 2 tbs of dark chocolate
- 2 tbs of coconut oil
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- Dark chocolate chips
- Chopped walnuts and hazelnut
For the frost:
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter
- Shredded coconut
1. Mix in a bowl: oil, flaxseed eggs, coconut sugar (you can substitute with blended dates and water) and rice milk.
2. Sift the rice flour,cinammon, dark chocolate and baking soda adding it slowly to the bowl with the other ingredients.
3. Mix with a whisks until you get a creamy and smooth mixture.
4. Add the chocolate chips, walnuts and hazelnuts.
5. Spread the dough on a baking tray covered with greaseproof paper.
6. Bake for 25 minutes 180°
7. While the cake is still hot spread the peanut butter on the top with a spatula and sprinkle some cinnamon and shredded coconut.
Making these brownies is really easy, it requires only a few ingredients and in 30 minutes are ready to eat.
Having a healthy diet does not mean giving up on sweets and other delicious foods, we just have to learn which ingredients can be combined in order to get the desired flavor without using those that may damage our health.
For this recipe I used rice flour, but there are many other flours with which you can have fun experimenting different combinations. You can use buckwheat flour or oats flour for example or adding almond meal to the dough for a moist and softer consistency.
It's time now to prepare these brownies, sit down, relax and enjoy them with a nice cup of tea, watching the sunset and planning the next step towards your success :)
How to make flaxseeds "eggs"
For one "egg" mix 1 tablespoon of flaxseeds meal with 2 and half tablespoon of water.
Let it sit for 10 minutes.
If you like the recipe don't forget to share it :)
Tired of your morning cereal? Are you looking for an healthier choice? Try this granola recipe, you will be amazed!!!