Quinoa and brown rice: The perfect combination. Vegan & GF
Staple foods of the oldest populations on earth, quinoa and brown rice are really nutritious whole grains that fits perfectly for many dishes and in my opinion, together they make the perfect combination.
They can be used in salads, soups, for make porridges, stir-fries and even for baking. For this dish I simply combined quinoa and brown rice with sautéed vegetables, fresh arugula, walnuts and dried figs to create a contrast of sweet and savory flavors.
In winter or summer, this simple but particular dish finds its place on every occasion and can be enjoyed both hot and cold.
I am sure you will love it!!!
Makes about 4 servings
1 CUP OF COOKED QUINOA
1 CUP OF COOKED BROWN RICE
3-4 CM OF GINGER ROOT
3 SWISS CHARD STICK
2 CUP OF MUSHROOMS
5-6 DRY TOMATOES
5 DRY FIGS
1 BUNCH OF ARUGULA
1. I used left over rice and quinoa but if you start from scratches, the first step will be cooking the quinoa and the brown rice. Check the footnotes for some tips on "how to cook a perfect and crunchy quinoa".
2. Chop really small all the vegetables and heat a medium a pan or a wok. When the pan is hot add ginger, onion, carrots,swiss chard stalks and dry tomatoes, when the vegetables start to sizzle add a 1/4 cup of water and lower the heat. Usually I do not using cooking oils so I sautéed the vegetables with water. It is an healthier choice, it tastes just the same and it is easier to clean the dishes after. Cover with a lid and let it cook for about 7 minutes, add more water if needed.
3. Now is time to add the mushrooms. Cover again and let it cook for 10 minutes more adding salt and spices that you like. I used paprika and turmeric.
4. When the vegetables are ready, add the quinoa, brown rice, walnuts and dry figs. Mix well and let it cook together on low heat for 2-3 minutes more, just the time that all the flavours blend together.
5. Now you can add the fresh arugula and a couple of spoon of olive oil.
This is a really simple meal that you can prepare in less than 30 minutes. Perfect to take to work for lunch or as a simple and tasty meal at the end of a long day.
Try this recipe and let me know if you liked :)
If you try it do not forget to take a picture and share it on your social media with the hashtag #happyfunkyvegan
Remember to follow @happyfunkyvegan on Instagram :)
Buon appetito :)
How to cook the perfect and crunchy quinoa:
For each cup of quinoa use always double of water. For example, 1 cup of quinoa 2 of water.
Wash carefully the quinoa before to cook it.
Put the quinoa and the water in a pot on high heat.
When the water starts to boil reduce the heat to low and wait until the quinoa absorbed all the water.
When there is no water left, turn off the heat and cover. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
IMPORTANT: do not cover the quinoa while is cooking otherwise it will be overcooked and of a mushy consistence.